Gaining followers and getting your voice out there can be quite hard. Often I get questions on how I manage to keep on gaining followers. Well I have to say that I am also struggling with gaining followers sometimes and of course I also hope to gain them faster and more efficient.
You hope that posting creative pictures with high quality and writing thoughtful captions are the way to success and of course this is what you have to do to get a good fan base with large engagement. However, posting nice pictures with smart captions isn’t always enough and with thousands of blogs popping up every day it seems to be hard to differentiate yourself from the crowd.
Luckily there are several studies out there explaining some strategies on how to get extra followers and influence using some easy but smart tactics. I’ve listed up some of these strategies that I believe are the most successful and that have helped me getting the followers I have now.
Nevertheless, as you implement the strategies below, keep in mind that there is no substitute for regularly posting engaging, creative and relevant images that your audience loves. Use the tips below liberally; just don’t forget that engagement should always be your underlying goal.
1. First of all, be consistent; Post photos at fixed time points on a regular basis. Research has shown that posting at 2pm, 5pm and 22pm are the most effective times to post a picture.
2. Secondly, complete your Bio, make clear who you are and what you do! People read this kind of information and will hit that follow button quicker if they see you’re not that spam kind of guy. Also if you have a website, paste the link in the form.
3.Use popular Hash tags, I guess you already knew about this one, but it’s proven that pictures with hashtags will get more likes than without them! Use popular hashtags as, #love, #instagood, #cute #follow, … But also use nice hashtags related to your photo!
4. I am a strong believer in creating a theme on your feed, personally I like it a lot and I believe people will be more likely to follow you if you have a nice coherent feed. Furthermore you don’t have to stick to one theme all the time, the art of the game is to make smooth transitions. good examples are: @tuulavintage @onedapperstreet @garypeppergirl @andreaswijk
5. A simple but time slaying trick to get followers is to like, comment and follow other people extensively. I also do this to attract people to my page and to get the numbers up (numbers are important, no one can deny that) but this doesn’t always result in an engaging audience.
6. Use related hash tags at certain events or locations. For example, people will look for certain hash tags when they are the same event and most likely they will have a look at your page when scrolling between pictures with the same hash tags. For example if you’re at tomorrowland, coachella, fashion events, …
7. Another useful trick is to promote your Instagram on other social media; also tell people what they can expect once they’re following you.
8. Quality beats quantity: edit your account to leave only the best pictures.
9. Edit you pictures with professional programs like Photoshop and Lightroom. Don’t use the instagram filters too much, I personal love to use VSCO cam to edit my picture and to create a theme for my feed.
10. Another thing I like to do is track my progress; I use Iconosquare to track the growth of my account. In this way you can see what you can adjust and what your audience likes.
11. A great way to increase engagement is to ask questions in the captions of your photos. Ask simple questions about every day life or which look they like best.
12. Ask other influencers to mention or tag your product. It helps a lot but sometimes you just have to be lucky they will mention you!
13. A similar trick is to Tag people in your photos when relevant. This ensures those photos show up in those users’ feeds, and makes it more likely they’ll share them. For example: other big Instagram pages in the same business as you: @mensfashionpost, @fashiorismo, @menwithclass
14. Use faces in your photos. It is proven that images with faces receive 35% more likes than those without.
15. Create your own hash tag. Come up with a hash tag and encourage your followers to use it. This encourages your fans to engage with your brand, and increases your visibility at the same time.
16. Tell a story. Use your image captions to tell an engaging story. Storytelling helps create an emotional connection to your brand and including a captivating story is much more likely to get your image shared. But I guess this is something I can still improve myself. Great example @socalitybarbie, really hilarious!
17. Upload Selfies but don’t overkill! For brands it’s interesting to upload backstage photos as well. People love to see things that are more personal and less professional, that explains how popular Snapchat became. So don’t be shy to show some more personal things!
18. Also remember to really engage yourself. Be intentional about liking photos, and leaving thoughtful comments. Regularly find new people to follow, and engage with them by responding with comments and questions.
19. Another way to increase your followers, and we all know this one, is to follow and unfollow as much as people as you can, everyday again. They will follow back and there you have your followers! A great example of someone who did this very consequently and is now earning loads of money with her Instagram is @negin_mirsalehi
20. And if none of these tips help and you’re really hopeless you can always buy your followers. But I would not recommend this because first of all they’re not real so it’s just a number and they won’t like your pictures. Second of it is not fair compared to other people or brands (they work with you), and finally Instagram deletes ghost followers regularly so eventually you will lose them again.
21. Last but not least. Remember to follow, like and comment on Mattgstyle! I really appreciate it. 😀
These 20 tips will help you build influence on Instagram. However, keep in mind that having a large number of followers is useless if you don’t take the time to really engage and interact, because in the end, converting followers into customers is the real goal.
Lastly I’ve listed up pictures of my Instagram that have had the largest impact since I started blogging! Hope you enjoy!